You don’t need to be a computer expert to speed up your PC: with simple operations and intuitive software, the slow computer will be just a memory.
When you buy a PC, performance is at the highest level, but, over time, it can slow down, affecting your work and leisure activities.
Suppose there is no damage to hardware and software. In that case, the leading causes of a slowed computer can be an overloaded data memory, the continuous updating of programs, and the recording of navigation data (cookies and history of the sites visited).
Paying attention to these factors, taking into account each model’s characteristics, helps improve the performance of the PC: here are three ways to immediately have a more efficient desktop or laptop computer.
1) Cleaning the slow pc
Browsing the Internet, playing video games, and using various programs require a periodic PC cleaning plan.
First of all, to get rid of the “junk files,” you can clean up the PC in its fundamental use components.
Hard disk cleaning: How to speed up your computer
The hard disk is the primary device of the computer for long-term data storage. Its symbol is C: (capitalized).
There are several ways to remove useless files or that you no longer care about, depending on the operating system (OS).
For PCs with Windows, open the Start menu (the flag) and set the “disk cleanup” item in the file search, select it and follow the instructions; the system performs a calculation of the amount of space to free divided by files: Temporary files, Temporary Internet files, Recycle Bin, Downloaded programs, etc.
On the Mac, the macOS 10.12 Sierra operating system allows hard disk cleaning by clicking on the apple symbol (top left) and opening the following folders: About this mac> File> Manage and choose the cleaning function to use.
The cache is a part of the internet browser space that stores are browsing, downloading, and cookie and file history data in memory.
To view updated web pages and speed up your pc, you need to get rid of these files periodically.
You can do it directly from the settings of the chosen browser, where you find different words depending on what you use: Settings for Chrome, History for Firefox, Development (voice made active) for Safari on Mac.
Or you can manage the cache directly from your PC: In Windows, go to the Internet Options of the Control Panel, in Apple Mac, follow the path Hard Drive> System> Libraries> Caches.
There are many applications, and we often fall into the error of downloading them and keeping them on the PC even if they are not used.
One of the primary things to make your PC fast is to take stock of the situation and eliminate all unnecessary.
In Windows, manage applications from the “Programs and Features” task of the Control Panel; for Mac, find the “Applications” folder and drag the icon to the trash.
2) Programs to speed up your computer
The programs to speed up the PC are very numerous. We propose 4:
- IObit Advanced SystemCare 11 scans the entire Windows system. Frees from unnecessary files on the hard disk and errors in the system registry. Optimizes startup settings, protects browsing and data privacy, and is entirely free.
- WinDirStat is a free and open-source application highly intuitive and easy to use. It can be downloaded from the dedicated website and is used to optimize storage space, identifies the heaviest files. And organizes them in order of weight with a particular graphic method of visualization.
For Apple Mac:
- Onyx is one of the best programs out there for Mac and is completely free. Different versions depending on the Mac model. It deletes all temporary files, web browsing traces has a hard drive health assessment test and modifies numerous system parameters.
- CleanMyMac 3 is among the most used by users even if for a fee. It allows you to quickly and completely uninstall the various applications. Performs a precise system cleaning by deleting unnecessary photos and files. Scans and deletes any email attachments. That is too heavy also remove the elements of startup and the panels applied by the various apps.
3) Defragmentation to speed up your computer
Once the PC has been cleaned. You can move on to a higher level of management: the defragmentation of the hard disk.
This operation takes care of optimizing the storage of data in the hard disk memory.
A saved file covers a particular physical allocation space. Each time you make changes, they occupy the area adjacent to the source file.
However, for various reasons, this rule may be not respected. And that the file is divided into fragments in several non-contiguous pieces. The lack of order affects the PC results because of each time. It has to recover the various parts before opening the file.
In Windows, search for the word Defragment in the Start. And the appropriate item will appear (it may change slightly depending on the version). Especially if you’ve never done it before, it can last anywhere from a few minutes to many hours.
The Mac, on the other hand, does not need to defragment the disk since Apple systems do not fragment files; it could be helpful only in the case of activities with huge and heavily modified files such as in video editing.
In short, if you also have a computer that occasionally slows down your activities. Keep in mind these methods to speed up your PC. They can facilitate your tasks and allow the excellent maintenance of your work or your digital hobbies.
Do you want to explore the new frontiers of mobile connectivity? Find out in this article what 5G technology is!
Also Read: How to parallel park